|Main Page → Creatures → Occupations → Martial artist
|Can be found in the UA?
|This occupation is open to:
A martial artist is a melee combat specialist and teacher.
Martial artists do not have standard clothing. See Citizen.
- Utility belt: Basic utility belt
Equipment and inventory
- Handgear: Fist wraps - IS 1
Skills: Species' natural skills + the following:
- Combat skills: Master (Martial arts), Expert (Axe, One-handed club, Two-handed club, Crude weapon, Knife, One-handed sword, Two-handed sword, Staff/Pole weapons, Whips/Lash weapons, Exotic melee, Exotic ranged, Thrown weapons), Basic (All other combat skills)
- Non-combat skills: Expert (Evading)
- Restricted occupation: The amount of characters that can hold this occupation is restricted to max 1 per dojo.
- Martial artists should be aged; most commonly aged 60-70, 40 at the very least.
| This article or section contains lore-related information.
Though not strictly necessary for playing the game, you are encouraged to read this section if you wish to have a better understanding of the game's universe.
In a general sense, a martial artist is someone with a significant amount of knowledge and practical experience in at least one form of melee combat.
In the Mazes, the term martial artist usually refers to the person in charge of a dojo. They are typically aged individuals, almost always with combat experience of some sort, with a specialization in melee combat. Most martial artists are experts in the use of virtually every melee weapon known to the Mazes, as well as at least one form of unarmed combat.
The role of a martial artist is mainly to offer a place to train their melee combat skills, as well as teach special techniques.
Although there are no formal studies or education path to become a martial artist, there is a generally agreed upon, unwritten rule of needing to demonstrate expertise in all forms of melee combat before being able to claim a teaching role. It is extremely rare for such people to be under the age of 40, and most will be at least 60 years old. Certain youkai species, particularly guhin and tengu, are natural fits for the role, due in large part to their long lifespans and natural affinity for martial arts.