|Navigation:||Main Page → Creatures → Giant beetle|
Threat level 1
|HEAD||Head - 7 HP|
|BODY|| Thorax (Upper) - 29 HP|
Abdomen (Lower) - 21 HP
|LIMB|| 2 wings - 14 HP|
6 legs - 14 HP
|WEAK POINTS||2 eyes (Head)|
|Can use Weapons/LBE?|
|Can use Clothing and armor?|
The giant beetle is a creature belonging to the Bugs category.
Attacks and techniques
This creature has one attack: Bite.
|Damage type||Range||MAPT||IS||LDV||Pain (C1)||Pain (C2)||Pain (A1)||Pain (A2)||Pain (A3)||Pain (A4)||Pain (A5)|
- Flight: This creature is capable of flying using its wings. As a free action, this creature may toggle Flight on or off once per turn. If Flight is on, this creature receives the following effects:
- Primed pressure mines will not be set off by a flying creature on the same Side.
- Primed directional mines will not be set off by a flying creature even if it enters the Protected Side from the Target Side.
- Opponents attacking a flying creature suffer from a FT malus: FT+2 with melee attacks, FT+1 with ranged attacks.
- Flying creatures cannot take cover.
- Flying creatures suffer from certain maluses: Recoil +1 and FT+1.
- If at least half of their wings is disabled, this creature is forced off Flight and can no longer toggle it back on until healed.
| This article or section contains lore-related information.|
Though not strictly necessary for playing the game, you are encouraged to read this section if you wish to have a better understanding of the game's universe.
The giant beetle is one of several species of giant insects native to the Mazes. It appears to be an enormous version of the sphaerius acaroides, reaching roughly 2 feet of height and 4 feet 6 inches of length. Adults of both sexes weigh between 40 and 55 pounds on average. Females lay clutches of one to eight eggs, and larvae are known for their sickly-green color.
Besides their size, giant beetles differ from their original cousins in coloration; their bodies evolved to take on a more rocky-concrete gray instead of the original shiny black, presumably to better match the environment of the Mazes' Uncivilized Area. Interestingly, the color of their blood is a shade of dark green rather than a regular beetle's yellow.
These creatures attack anything in range, including people, and feed on just about any type of soft organic matter they can find. Despite that or their scary appearance, they are not very dangerous and can be disposed of with judicious application of handgun fire or other appropriate weapon.
Like all members of the Bugs category, the origin of these creatures is unknown. Because they lack any magical or supernatural elements, it has been theorized that these creatures are the result of some type of past scientific experiment gone wrong, and that they have since escaped and become a species native to the Uncivilized Area.