|Navigation:||Main Page → Game mechanics → Skills → Repairing|
Repairing (or repair) is both the name of a non-combat skill and an associated activity.
Many items in the game can degrade and require maintenance, such as weapons (see Weapon maintenance). With the right kits and skill level in Repairing, it is possible to keep all of your weapons in excellent shape and even bring wrecked firearms back to a usable state.
Depending on the type of weapon you wish to repair, you may need different types of toolkits:
- For firearms: Gun Cleaning Kits (GCK), or Gun Repair Kits (GRK)
- For melee weapons: Melee Repair Kits (MRK)
- For explosives: Explosives Toolkits (XTK)
The main purpose of this skill is the ability to maintain and repair weapons. All that is needed to use and practice this skill is to have the right kit and a suitable weapon in need of maintenance!
Firearms (excluding hand grenades and planted explosives) can be maintained by using either a Gun Cleaning Kit (GCK) or a Gun Repair Kit (GRK). GCKs can only be used if the firearm's Condition is 60% or higher, whereas GRKs can be used on any firearm, though they are more expensive.
It is advisable to keep multiple kits of either type if you wish not to rely on the maintenance services of a workshop.
Repairing melee weapons
All melee weapons (excluding those with a max Condition rating of N/A, as they neither degrade nor need to be repaired) can be maintained by using a Melee Repair Kit (MRK).
One use of a MRK will increase one melee weapon's Condition by 250 + skill bonus.
Zero Condition repair
"Zero Condition repair", "0% Condition repair" and "zero repair" all redirect here."
If you have at least Basic skill level in Repairing, you may attempt what is known as a Zero condition repair (also referred to as 0% Condition repair or zero repair).
One attempt of a zero condition repair requires 3 full uses of a GRK (if trying to repair a broken firearm) or MRK (melee weapon), then a 1d100 roll. The chances of success and the Condition the weapon will be restored to all depend on skill level.
- Example: Midori has Expert level in Repairing and a broken, zero Condition M1 Carbine. Fortunately, she also possesses several Gun Repair Kits, and is determined to bring her carbine back to life. At her skill level, she has a 45% chance of success per attempt, meaning that she must roll 45 or less to successfully zero repair her weapon. She rolls a 21, succeeding on the first try; that M1 Carbine is back to life, at 10% Condition! (1150 /11500). It still needs a lot of repairs, but at least it will fire again.
Repairing and defusing explosives
An Explosives Toolkit (XTK) is required to repair a dud explosive back into a live one. Repairing one dud costs 1 use, and is always successful. This is a relatively worry-free method of practicing the Repairing skill, as there is no chance of failure.
See this page for more details. Defusing explosives is also a good method of practicing the Repairing skill. To avoid abuse by repeatedly planting and defusing the same explosives over and over, an explosive item that was defused twice should be, at the GM's discretion, considered to be permanently deactivated (effectively destroyed; impossible to plant it again).
Repairing skill levels
Skill Points are granted at varying rates:
- Cleaning a firearm using a GCK grants 1 Skill Point.
- Repairing a dud explosive using an XTK grants 1 Skill Point.
- Repairing a weapon using a GRK or an MRK grants 2 Skill Points.
- Defusing any explosive (with or without an XTK) grants 2 Skill Points.
- Repairing a 0% Condition weapon back to a usable state using a GRK or an MRK grants 5 Skill Points.
|Unskilled||0|| No bonus to Condition restored when using a GCK, GRK, or MRK.|
Cannot repair 0% Condition weapons with a GRK or MRK.
|Basic||50|| Bonus +200 Condition when using a GCK, GRK or MRK.|
Zero condition repairs: 25% chances of success per attempt, success will bring Condition back to 1%.
|Skilled||200|| Bonus +400 Condition when using a GCK, GRK or MRK.|
Zero condition repairs: 35% chances of success per attempt, success will bring Condition back to 5%.
|Expert||500|| Bonus +800 Condition when using a GCK, GRK or MRK.|
Zero condition repairs: 45% chances of success per attempt, success will bring Condition back to 10%.
|Master||1000|| Bonus +1600 Condition when using a GCK, GRK or MRK.|
Zero condition repairs: 55% chances of success per attempt, success will bring Condition back to 20%.
- SP: Skill Points needed to reach this level