|Navigation:||Main Page → Lore → Languages|
| This article or section contains lore-related information.|
Though not strictly necessary for playing the game, you are encouraged to read this section if you wish to have a better understanding of the game's universe.
There are a few different languages existing in the Mazes. Two are in current use by most inhabitants of the Mazes, two are more rarely spoken but still considered to be in current use, one is used strictly for academic purposes, and one is a dead language, with no remaining native speakers.
List of languages
- Common is the most common language, spoken by most sapient inhabitants of the Mazes. It is virtually identical to English and largely uses American English spellings (with a few exceptions, such as aluminium or axe).
- Youkai-go is the second most common language. It is spoken mostly by youkai, though a significant amount of non-youkai sapients have learned to speak it as well, usually for the purpose of integrating better into youkai communities. It is virtually identical to modern Japanese.
- The Angelic language is a tongue spoken and understood only by Angelic creatures (including shrine maidens). It has been described as airy and melodic, and appears to be some type of tonal language. Angelic has a written form, using an alphabet of 34 letters (13 vowels and 21 consonants) as well as a proprietary script. Angelic can theoretically be taught and learned normally, however and according to shrine maidens, Angelic influence seems to instill the ability to understand, speak and write the language fluently.
- The Demonic language is a tongue spoken and understood only by Demonic creatures (including dark maidens). It is an atonal language, described as guttural and raspy. Demonic has a written form, using an alphabet of 26 letters (12 vowels and 14 consonants) as well as a proprietary script. Like with Angelic, Demonic can theoretically be taught and learned normally, but creatures under Demonic influence seem to instantly acquire the ability to speak the language fluently.
Academic usage only
- Lingua academia, also known as the Scientific language, is the language used by the Scientific Community to describe elements, creatures, and other entities using a "scientific" name, for the purposes of categorization and differentiation. It is virtually identical to Latin, and originated in the medieval era.