|Navigation:||Main Page → Game mechanics → Abilities|
During the course of a MazeWorld session, there are a number of abilities, moves and techniques that your character can perform. Some of which are basic in nature and can be performed by virtually any character, with little to no pre-requisites. Others are more specialized in nature, and may require learning, purchasing, or reaching some other more difficult pre-requisite.
Furthermore, many of these abilities may behave differently when performed in Normal mode and Combat mode, and in fact, certain abilities can only be performed in Combat mode.
In general, you may, as a free action, observe your surroundings, know what items, creatures, room furniture and available cover is in a given room, so long as they are clearly visible. You can also always observe and examine any given single object or creature, and request to know more about it or what it looks like.
This list also does not describe how to use items; check each respective page for details on those - or how to move and deal with the battlespace; for that, please check Combat mode.
This list describes techniques and abilities that can be performed during combat, provided that technique has been learned. They generally allow you to use weapons in different ways. Each ability listed below is grouped by pre-requisites:
Requires a specific item
- Charging (Any Staff/Pole weapon that can deal Piercing damage, or any firearm equipped with a bayonet; the latter case is specifically called a Bayonet charge)
- Concentrating (Any firearm equipped with a high-power or extreme-power scope)
- Dual wielding (Two weapons, with some restrictions on what kinds of weapons can be dual-wielded)
- Multiple targeting (Any firearm equipped with a red dot sight)
- Point shooting (Any firearm, excluding flamethrowers, hand grenades and planted explosives)
Requires purchasing lessons
- Lightning reload (learned at a Shooting range, requires specific types of firearms to perform; see page for details)
- Martial arts techniques (learned at a Dojo; several exist, see page for details)
Automatically learned at a certain skill level
Please note that the techniques listed below can only be performed with weapons (and fire modes) you have the requisite skill level for. For example, having Expert level in DA revolvers lets you perform Failure Drill with DA revolvers only, and so on.
- Failure Drill (Expert level; DA revolver, Semi-auto pistol, Semi-auto rifle, Semi-auto shotgun)
- Fanning (Expert level; SA revolver)
- Mad Minute (Expert level, Bolt-actions)
- Recoil Control Stance (Expert level; Automatic pistol, Automatic rifle, Automatic shotgun)
- Rifleman Trick (Expert level; Lever-actions)
- Zero's Trick (Expert level; Pump-actions)
Melee weapon techniques:
- Any-Bash (Expert level; One-handed clubs, Two-handed clubs)
- Any-Throw (Expert level; Thrown weapons)
- Backlash (Expert level; Whip/lash weapons)
- Desperate Smash (Expert level; Crude weapons)
- Double Cleave (Expert level; Axes, One-handed swords, Two-handed swords)
- Stabbing Rush (Expert level; Knives)
Certain species have what is referred to as natural attacks; the natural capability to perform one or multiple specific attacks or techniques, usually unique to their species and with their very own damage tables and stats. For more information on each species' natural attacks, refer to individual creature pages.
Abilities from non-combat skills
This list describes abilities that can be performed as a result of having a certain skill level in non-combat skills. Details are listed on each non-combat skill page.
- Hunting: Butchering creatures for meat
- Crafting: Crafting items from ingredients
- Handloading: Making ammunition from components, disassembling ammunition into components
- Mining: Mining ore patches to obtain ore bundles
- Negotiating: Bartering better prices when buying or selling items, convincing other people
- Repair: Repairing damaged (non-zero condition) weapons, repairing broken (0% condition) weapons and dud explosives
- Lockpicking: Picking locks on containers
- Healing: Using Meds, effectiveness of certain meds, performing healing massages
- Evading: Evading attacks, parrying attacks, performing counter-attacks after a successful parry