|Navigation:||Main Page → Game mechanics → Abilities|
During the course of a MazeWorld session, there are a number of abilities, moves and techniques that your character can perform. Some of which are basic in nature and can be performed by virtually any character, with little to no pre-requisites. Others are more specialized in nature, and may require learning, purchasing, or reaching some other more difficult pre-requisite.
Furthermore, many of these abilities may behave differently when performed in Normal mode and Combat mode, and in fact, certain abilities can only be performed in Combat mode.
In general, you may, as a free action, observe your surroundings, know what items, creatures, room furniture and available cover is in a given room, so long as they are clearly visible. You can also always observe and examine any given single object or creature, and request to know more about it or what it looks like.
This list also does not describe how to use items; check each respective page for details on those - or how to move and deal with the battlespace; for that, please check Combat mode.
This list describes techniques and abilities that can be performed during combat, provided that technique has been learned. They generally allow you to use weapons in different ways. Unless listed otherwise, it is generally not possible to combine multiple techniques in a single turn.
Each ability listed below is grouped by pre-requisites:
Requires a specific item
- Charging (Any Staff/Pole weapon that can deal Piercing damage, or any firearm equipped with a bayonet; the latter case is specifically called a Bayonet charge)
- Concentrating (Any firearm equipped with a high-power or extreme-power scope)
- Dual wielding (Two weapons, with some restrictions on what kinds of weapons can be dual-wielded)
- Multiple targeting (Any firearm equipped with a red dot sight)
- Point shooting (Any firearm, excluding flamethrowers, hand grenades, and planted explosives)
Requires purchasing lessons
- Lightning reload (learned at a shooting range, requires specific types of firearms to perform; see page for details)
- Martial arts techniques (learned at a dojo; several exist, see page for details)
Learned at a certain skill level
- Failure Drill (Expert level; DA revolver, Semi-auto pistol, Semi-auto rifle, Semi-auto shotgun)
- Fanning (Expert level; SA revolver)
- Mad Minute (Expert level, Bolt-actions)
- Recoil Control Stance (Expert level; Automatic pistol, Automatic rifle, Automatic shotgun, intended for full-auto firearms)
- Hyper Burst (Expert level; Automatic pistol, Automatic rifle, Automatic shotgun, intended for burst firearms)
- Rifleman Trick (Expert level; Lever-actions)
- Zero Trick (Expert level; Pump-actions)
Melee weapon techniques:
- Any-Bash (Expert level; One-handed clubs, Two-handed clubs)
- Any-Throw (Expert level; Thrown weapons)
- Backlash (Expert level; Whip/lash weapons)
- Desperate Smash (Expert level; Crude weapons)
- Double Cleave (Expert level; Axes, One-handed swords, Two-handed swords)
- Stabbing Rush (Expert level; Knives)
Certain species have what is referred to as natural attacks; the natural capability to perform one or multiple specific attacks or techniques, usually unique to their species and with their very own damage tables and stats. For more information on each species' natural attacks, refer to individual creature pages.
Abilities from special resources
Certain abilities are special, and require the accumulation and use of a special resource.
- Angelic powers - A set of techniques unique to angelic creatures, requiring the use of Angelic Energy.
- Demonic powers - A set of techniques unique to demonic creatures, requiring the use of Demonic Energy.
- Tanuki Shapeshifting - A set of techniques unique to tanuki, requiring the use of Tanuki Balls.
Abilities from non-combat skills
Certain abilities are tied to certain non-combat skills. Some are unlocked when reaching a certain skill level; others are available to all characters.
Abilities from character traits
Certain abilities are tied to certain Character traits.